· Polls
 · About
 ·
 ·
 ·

Chatbox
bullet editor
Jun 01 : 17:00
Members, post announcements in the Chat that don't seem to fit in the Forum such as Happy Birthday, Welcome New Baby, etc. Get "social."

Forums
Mountain Park Life :: Forums :: Help Desk
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Charter Phone Service Reliable?

Author Post
Trish
Wed May 29 2013, 04:42PM
Registered Member #10
{LOCATION}Posts: 89
Can anyone tell us if Charter phone service is reliable? AT&T has gotten expensive, and we would like to change our home phone line provider. Years ago, we canceled the Charter Internet service because it went down often and repair service took days. However, the TV service has been pretty good. Does anyone use Charter for phone service? Any advice?
Keith
Thu Jun 13 2013, 12:16PM
Registered Member #46
{LOCATION}Posts: 158
Trish, I can't answer your direct question. What I can tell you is that our Charter service last year without phone was reliable.

We moved over to ATT UVerse at the beginning of the year and I can tell you that's been the worst experience I've ever had. It's taken months to get UVerse working consistently over in our area of MP.

Of course your mileage may vary.
Trish
Fri Jun 14 2013, 07:05PM
Registered Member #10
Thanks for the feedback on ATT Uverse. We were wondering about that, too. Re the phone, I guess I can call Charter and ask if the phone service comes over their cable or do they "resell" on the ATT phone line -- like Cobb EMC which "resells" GA Power I think. Our ATT phone service is very reliable but getting too expensive.
Keith
Mon Jun 17 2013, 09:52PM
Registered Member #46
Also be aware that once you switch over from POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) and move to a VoIP (Voice over IP) telephone line, your telephone service *may* be more susceptible to power outages. You'll need to insure you get a batter backup and a phone that doesn't necessarily lose dial tone once power is interrupted.

This is true for Charter, ATT, Vonage, etc.
Trish
Tue Jun 18 2013, 10:16PM
Registered Member #10
Yikes, there is so much to learn and consider. It seems that changing a service any more requires a complete research project. And, then, you don't know if you have overlooked one critical element. I think I like the "old" days better, before technology made things so complicated.

Is "doesn't necessarily lose dial tone once power is interrupted" a feature listed for a new phone? If not, how do we know?
Keith
Wed Jun 19 2013, 12:45PM
Registered Member #46
Trish, in these days of internet telephony, there are indeed several choices.

For instance, ATT's UVerse bundles their battery backup into their service offering. When I talked to Charter they said they provided one at the customer's request - it was not included as part of their standard offering and they could provide one for an additional charge.

Regardless of which carrier you use you should always have at least one old fashioned phone (the kind that simply plugs into the wall without additional power (that rules out answering machines, and other assorted phones that need AC power.)

BTW this last statement is true even if you are still on POTS...always keep an old fashioned phone so you can send/receive calls over your carrier.
Trish
Thu Jun 20 2013, 03:59PM
Registered Member #10
Keith,
Thanks for the info. Knowing details is so important for technology decisions because there are so many details! I get overwhelmed but will start exploring vendors to make a decision soon. I appreciate the help and suggestions!

Moderators: bt, Archive, editor

Jump:     Back to top

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board

© Mountain Park Life 2006 All Rights Reserved

mountainparklife.com is a community site for the City of Mountain Park.

Render time: 0.0520 sec, 0.0058 of that for queries.