» Tool Chest
 · About
 ·
 ·
 ·

Chatbox
bullet editor
Jun 01 : 17:00
Members, post announcements in the Chat that don't seem to fit in the Forum such as Happy Birthday, Welcome New Baby, etc. Get "social."

Forums
Mountain Park Life :: Forums :: City Issues
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

U-Verse - High Speed Internet for Mountain Park

Author Post
Keith
Thu Mar 15 2012, 02:49PM
Registered Member #46
{LOCATION}Posts: 158
Does anyone know why AT&T hasn't finished deploying U-Verse to Mountain Park?

They've installed U-Verse at the ends of MP, but most (?) residents can't get this service. From talking other residents, we've been waiting for 2+ years for this service.

It would be nice if the City Council would use its leverage to get AT&T to offer a competitive product to Charter's internet.

AT&T U-verse is an advanced product that brings together superior TV, high speed Internet, and home phone service. ATT U-verse represents the future of communications and entertainment. If you aren't familiar with UVerse, here's the link to Wikipedia

link

Disclaimer - I have no interest / connection with ATT. I'm just looking for a faster / cheaper / better alternative than Charter.
kelly
Thu Mar 15 2012, 07:31PM
Registered Member #521
{LOCATION}Posts: 4
I thought everyone had it here. ATT is so into customer service that it possibly wouldn't take much calling to get the service. I'd call customer service and request it and see what they say because so many have it around you so it's close.

I had no problems with the regular ATT internet without the Uverse so it could suffice if Charter is that bad but I would attempt to find out when you can get the Uverse and call them because they have an option to do that.

Here’s one more alternative for TV instead of Charter that I’ve been using for over a year for cable TV. I get TV from the internet only.

I had Uverse TV but switched to this to using a Roku2 and am very satisfied. Since the Uverse internet router has wifi in it the Roku found it automatically. Any router that has wifi in your home will work.

Then I got Netflix steaming for $8.00. It doesn’t have new releases or big budget current movies but plenty of TV shows and old big budget or current low budget movies (many are surprisingly good).
For another $8.00 I get DVD’s mailed to me and it’s how I get new releases or movies not on the streaming yet.

Then I linked the Roku to USTV for $29.00 after the intro special deal of $19.00.
link

http://www.ustvnow.com/?logout=1

USTV has some cable and regular TV channels.

I get all the cable I want for $37.00 +$8.00 for DVDS but I don’t always want the DVD service so opt out a lot from it.

I did this after using Uverse TV and realized that the least expensive plans didn’t offer much more than I have with this setup and was twice as expensive.
To get the good cable channels Uverse get expensive. I never had any problems with Uverse TV when I had it and the reception was reliable and good.

Uverse gives a good internet connection too so it is possibly why the Roku2 works so good. I've never used Charter internet.

You need to test your internet speed but it doesn't need to be that fast but my Uverse is fast. I think my ATT internet without the Uverse was fast enough though.
-------------
Please call our Customer Service department at 800-288-2020 for any further technical information regarding the inability to receive U-verse at your address. Our offices are available Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm CST. On Saturday and Sunday we are closed.
------------
I did pursue it for you because I have an account with Uverse plus I was so surprised that you couldn't get it and I can. He said that it was finicky like that and where he lives one condominium could have it and the one next door won't and you just have to wait. I asked for anyone to call to request it that made that decision and he didn't know who. There's some kind of C.O./Central Office to transmit each areas. This is as far as I can go but of course there's someone difficult to find to talk to like the head of the C.O. or something.
------

kelly
Mon Mar 19 2012, 08:43PM
Registered Member #521
Keith, I never went back to the USTV site after joining it a year ago except to get you the link until this weekend. USTV did not have a disclaimer that I watch it overseas when I joined but I wouldn't join it falsely under this agreement through a proxy server but that's what people are doing.

ATT DSL (which I had for years) was plenty fast enough if you can't obtain Uverse for the internet and there must be other internet TV for the Roku2 and if not Direct TV would be a contender to my home.

This is one of the few that passed the cinnamon challenge.

link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JTZIJy-ER4

Keith
Tue Mar 20 2012, 04:33PM
Registered Member #46
Thanks Kelly for the reply.

I've been asking ATT to push U-Verse into MP for several years. I've been told we have the equipment at both the Fulton and Cherokee sides of the Park, but it hasn't been deployed throughout the Park. A couple of years ago they said it was going to take a year or so to deploy, but it's been longer than that. I've written letters, emails, and made some calls, but ATT has been slow to respond. I'll give the number you posted another call. THANKS!

That's why I was hoping our city government could help accelerate the services within the park.

Thanks for the insight into USTV. I checked them out, but as you mention, they have a disclaimer now that will let me register, but not watch any TV shows unless I am outside the US. (See below)

But for the time being, our service is only available for those of you that are traveling overseas or reside abroad and have no other way to watch TV from the US.

Since we have detected a U.S. IP address live viewing has been disabled until you are abroad. You will be able register now and use our guide and DVR to record programs for later viewing when you are abroad. Remember you can only watch overseas!

Personally they way I see it, internet has become another service just like water, sewer, electric that the city should be able to insure we have quality of service on...but then again, I'm probably opening up Pandora's box and that means they will want to levy higher taxes on that too.
Jim
Tue Mar 20 2012, 06:50PM
Registered Member #42
{LOCATION}Posts: 83
Keith,
Your city government has been pursuing this matter with AT&T and has solved some of the challenges in getting complete coverage throughout the city. One of your elected councilmen has been working to identify the reason we were not able to get service at city hall and that was resolved. I think if we all continue to make our desires known it will not be that much longer before everyone has it without having to raise your taxes.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim Still
Keith
Tue Mar 20 2012, 07:50PM
Registered Member #46
Thanks Jim for the update.

I did call ATT today and the sales team wasn't able to help.

I asked to escalate to Tier 2 and I talked to their tech support team.

Unfortunately they weren't able to give me a reason for the delay either.

Faster / Better / Cheaper internet with choices that's robust during a storm is a very good thing! It opens up possibilities for TV, Phone Service, etc.

Thanks folks.
kelly
Wed Mar 21 2012, 02:01AM
Registered Member #521
Logic is that it is more likely to show up where there is the most AT&T present customers, and that is why I mentioned AT&T DSL. I would put it where there are the most customers and revenue if I were them.

You said you were looking for alternatives is the reason I mentioned the rest. Uverse is better but not great as to compared to their DSL internet service. It depends on how much you download too.

The persons on the Council need to know who to call by name to ask for AT&T Uverse and a phone number would help beyond customer service. You start at the top in a bureaucracy like that.

kelly
Wed Mar 21 2012, 04:55PM
Registered Member #521
I like keeping current on technology and that's the reason I wanted to learn about video streaming so this was interesting to me.
Here's the reason he told me from sales. I gave them a call because they have to be possibly at least responsive to me than you since I have an account with Uverse and you don't and to attempt to sell me on Uverse TV.

It's a facility issue since it's such new technology and it's bringing fiber optics to your home but with limits on the distance. Usually it's the distance issue and they do something called tier bonding to push the service a little further but they can give the service just so far after that.
"Obviously, if they could provide it they would" so it has to be a technical issue.
When you go to Uverse to check if it is available for you, there's a place to type a response at the bottom he said and Uverse sales 877-999-0788 are the only ones that are set up to communicate with us.

Still, I have Uverse and I can tell a difference from DSL and it wasn't that dramatic of a difference for the internet but I had technical problems sometimes with DSL and never with Uverse. I would get DSL again if I couldn't get Uverse as it is my best alternative.

Moderators: bt, Archive, editor

Jump:     Back to top

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board

© Mountain Park Life 2006 All Rights Reserved

mountainparklife.com is a community site for the City of Mountain Park.

Render time: 0.0584 sec, 0.0053 of that for queries.