» Tool Chest
 · About
 ·
 ·
 ·

Chatbox
bullet editor
Jun 01 : 17:00
Members, post announcements in the Chat that don't seem to fit in the Forum such as Happy Birthday, Welcome New Baby, etc. Get "social."

Forums
Mountain Park Life :: Forums :: City Issues
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Council

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
Harry
Sat Mar 12 2011, 06:07AM
Registered Member #460
{LOCATION}Posts: 10
What's with John McLaughlin not recusing himself in these special called meetings? What up w/this? Anybody know or r we supposed to play nice and not say nothing? It don't look right or good for him or the rest of the Council members. Something wrong.
Grandma's Kid
Mon Mar 14 2011, 02:02AM
Registered Member #59
{LOCATION}Posts: 118
Harry, you haven't mentioned what the special called council meetings are about or why John should recuse himself. There is something wrong with that. Play nice.

Grandma's Kid
Harry
Mon Mar 14 2011, 07:57AM
Registered Member #460
Playng nice and being specific. Yep, it would be nice if the ones elected to represent us and specially with the lake suit, would listen to what most in this town want or think. If you don't know what this is about Grandma then look it up and don't leave it to me.

We got a small town, everone knows everyone and theres the question of conflict. Maybe its founded or maybe not. But theres the "appearance" of a conflict and thats what the law say on this. There is enuf genuine appearances for John to recuse himself and this why he was asked to do it. He been asked to step down on this one thing and he won't. I don't care if its not being nice to ask a simple question to folks in town here, its about what is right and for US, as he represent us. Lake legal issue is a big deal here and most of us have hung in for years to see this thru. Lake Garret is about dead as a lake and its gonna get worse downstream soon. So yeah it'd be great if folks would play nice and respect our citizens on this one thing. I asked the question to see what folks thot on it. Maybe no one hear has much to say on it but there sure is lot of talk around about it elsewhere.
Grandma's Kid
Mon Mar 14 2011, 09:19PM
Registered Member #59
You haven't told me why you think there appears to be a conflict of interest for John in the special called meeting. Until I hear something specific then your complaint seems unreasonable. John doesn't strike me as someone who acts without reason. As he was elected by us to serve then I'd rather have him there than absent without good reason.

Grandma's Kid
Harry
Sun Mar 20 2011, 09:06AM
Registered Member #460
Kid, I dont need to convince you. I told you before get informed yerself, read minutes, go to mtgs if you live here. Not my job to convince you. Talking to ones who have caught on with stuff and who're worreid about our town. You could be John or a friend of John and wouldnt' beleive me no matter what I say wich I think is the case. This aint personal, this is about the future of our city and who is in charge. I like Jim our Mayor but I wish he stand up to a certain few cuz watching it all goin on I think he's not being the leader we all know he can be when he want to. John been asked to step down on ONE matter, he wont and wheres the good reason? Only ONE thing he been asked. ONE thing and it matters and where the respect for us? Dos he even care? Wake up and smell the coffee peeps.
mrn
Sat Mar 26 2011, 03:13AM
Registered Member #332
{LOCATION}Posts: 1
Harry - I agree John M should have recused himself from the vote; he has relations with PRP, one of the developers(s).

Grandma’s kid must not be from around here.

Who are you Grandma’s Kid?

Matt Notter
Grandma's Kid
Sat Mar 26 2011, 01:56PM
Registered Member #59
mrn- Thanks for giving a reason why it is thought that John should step down on a vote. A reason was all I asked for. As for not being from around here that's a laugh. My ancestors have owned property here since the 20's and I've lived here full time for 40 years. Grandma taught me how to fish here over 50 years ago when the water was a clear blue green instead of crappy brown. I doubt John has any relationship with the developers who messed up our lakes. If he did then I think he would recuse himself as appropriate. John is a friend of mine and I'm proud of that. So what?

Grandma's Kid
Harry
Sun Mar 27 2011, 09:24AM
Registered Member #460
Thank you Mrn for stepping in and contributing. This forum is a tough nut to crack in terms of enlargin points of view.

Grandma K's you are sadly mistaken and again show you are not doing your own research into all this. He did not step down when asked by citizens confrontin him on this issue. You may be a friend his, so why not ask him yourself? Why doubt Mrn and me when you can call City Hall or ask your bud John? John is friend with PRP's owner's sister. John hisself admit this. Close friends would be very correct. He has been questioned about this repeatedly and by many. He verbally has said he knows the person in question and only sees her a very few times a year. There are some in town easily who dont see it this way. Me included. He refuses to recuse himself. It looks improper and yet no one on the Council steps up with the powers invested and charges him to do this. The citizens have tried. And you being his friend do not know this. Clearly you don't go to mtgs.
Where we go next? State Attorney General, Lt. Governor? It will go further since our Mayor do nothing. We as citizens have no choice but to ask a higher jurisdictional head/agency to come in and attempt to represent those citizens asking normal and logical questions and at this point I welcome it. The Council work for us.
I hearing FOI requests being made at City Council member and being ignored. Don't count on you Grandma K to believe me, but for tohers who care, something up and where's the transparency?
GranKid: no one cares if you are john's best friend, good for you, brag bout it all you want, it don't matter, be proud. But if you truly a best friend of his, you'd ask him yerself versus doubting Msn here and me. That's why it is prac useless forum here becuses everone just thinks of this froum as a clubhouse for like minded and they get rid of anyone else with other views.
Mr Leary
Sun Mar 27 2011, 05:09PM
Registered Member #430
{LOCATION}Posts: 5
Welcome to Oz because this site is a trip! Let’s look at what is being said here. Councilman John McLaughlin should recuse himself because he has a relationship with the defendants. (Thanks to Mr. Notter we now know what we are talking about) How long has this been known and who knew about it? When did the demand for him to recuse himself begin? I was told that this came out back during the settlement negotiations and that ALL of the attorneys were made aware at that time. Why hasn’t any one of them and especially the environmental attorney asked that he recuse himself if it could have a negative impact on the lawsuit? It doesn’t seem the demand for his recusal was an issue until a vote was taken in December to settle with the defendants. Why hasn’t the Mayor demanded his recusal? The mayor is the little guy behind the curtain pulling levers and may not agree with recusal or may not want to get in the middle of this issue. He seems more concerned with making sure nobody talks too long or too loud. Contrary to what somebody said, nobody but the council members can make motions to be voted on. Go down to the State Capital and make a motion from the audience and see if the legislators “second it” much less vote on it. Here is a Leary-Query for you “What about all the other council members?” The real question should be why hasn’t another councilmember, who is supposed to be the real leaders of this community, called for a vote on McLaughlin’s recusal? Maybe they don’t agree he should recuse himself. How many times has a motion for a re-vote been made to see if Mclaughlin would even recuse himself if he had the opportunity? Why haven’t any more votes been taken since the first one in December to address what seems to be for some folks such a major concern? If any elected council member can make a motion when they desire then Dorothy’s been sitting at the front table with the ruby slippers on since this controversy erupted and hasn’t uttered a word. Maybe she doesn’t think McLaughlin should recuse himself either!
Whizbang
Mon Mar 28 2011, 03:44AM
Registered Member #286
{LOCATION}Posts: 13
Mr. Leary(or Tim formerly TC): Cut the crap, settle the suit, admit defeat, do your neighbors a favor. The connection that Harry is trying to make is that John McLaughlin is a close friend of the sister of the president of Peachtree Residential Properties, Rickenbacker, who is a defendant in the lake litigation. So what? The pooch is screwed folks. MP lost and now needs to settle to avoid paying the winner's legal fees. Shelton, Claire and Julia Neal will advocate an endless pursuit of victory to understandably save face. The mayor and council should budget for future lake siltation removal OR act stupid in perpetuity and appeal.
Moderators: bt, Archive, editor

Jump:     Back to top

Go to page       >>  
Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board

© Mountain Park Life 2006 All Rights Reserved

mountainparklife.com is a community site for the City of Mountain Park.

Render time: 0.0620 sec, 0.0064 of that for queries.