· Polls
 · About
 ·
 ·
 ·

Chatbox
bullet editor
Jun 01 : 17:00
Members, post announcements in the Chat that don't seem to fit in the Forum such as Happy Birthday, Welcome New Baby, etc. Get "social."

Forums
Mountain Park Life :: Forums :: City Issues
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Paving of the dam for Lake Cherful?

Author Post
Keith
Mon Nov 01 2010, 02:33PM
Registered Member #46
{LOCATION}Posts: 158
Years ago I believe we used Cherokee SPLOST money and the City leaders instructed a Cherokee contractor to pave the top of the dam for use as a point of ingress/egress primarily for emergency use only.

Shortly thereafter the paving was discovered by a group (maybe Fulton County Soil/Water district?) and concerns were raised (I believe) possibly for liability issues; environmental issues; or a feeling that the dam was not suitable for vehicular traffic.

Subsequently the newly applied pavement was ordered ripped up and removed.

Today there appears to be heavy equipment packing down the dam and the rumor is that the dam will once again be paved. Talking to City Hall it appears that we are in negotiations with Cherokee County and that we have asked the county to use SPLOST funds to pay for the paving of the dam once again.

1. Have the liability, environmental and vehicular issues been addressed so that we will not waste tax payer money again? (Regardless of if this is SPLOST money or not)

2. Will the ingress / egress be used for emergency use only?

thanks,
JH
Mon Nov 01 2010, 03:54PM
Registered Member #256
{LOCATION}Posts: 40
Keith,
Do you see any posted permits from the NRCS; EPA; EPD; FCSWD; Army COE; Safe Dams; City; County; DNR; SWCC?

Anybody done an environmental impact statement? I suggest you don't wait for the city to respond. Instead make a few phone calls yourself, outside the city. Call Martin Shelton, he'll know what to do. He was all over George for moving some rocks or something.
Keith
Mon Nov 15 2010, 03:58PM
Registered Member #46
{LOCATION}Posts: 158
Just a quick summary. The dam was paved on 11/1/10.

A call to city hall didn't really shed any answers.

I hope this road lasts longer than the last one does and it's not a waste of tax payer monies...

I'd still like to understand the reasons why the first road paving was destroyed and if we followed proper procedures the second time.

I'd also like to know will this road be used only for emergency use only or is there a plan to have the dam be used on a regular drive through basis (as was suggested by a council woman a year or so ago).

Tim
Mon Nov 15 2010, 07:47PM
Registered Member #75
{LOCATION}Posts: 59
Keith,
My understanding from the Director of Public Safety(Chief Reeves) is that this is an "emergency use only" replacement road paid for by Cherokee County SPLOST funds with the proper approval from all parties. Check with the Chief.
Moderators: bt, Archive, editor

Jump:     Back to top

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board

© Mountain Park Life 2006 All Rights Reserved

mountainparklife.com is a community site for the City of Mountain Park.

Render time: 0.1105 sec, 0.0558 of that for queries.