· Polls
 · About
 ·
 ·
 ·

Chatbox
bullet editor
Jun 01 : 17:00
Members, post announcements in the Chat that don't seem to fit in the Forum such as Happy Birthday, Welcome New Baby, etc. Get "social."

Forums
Mountain Park Life :: Forums :: Help Desk
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Mountain Park Fire Department refill empty Fire Extinguishers?

Author Post
Keith
Mon Feb 16 2009, 05:35PM
Registered Member #46
{LOCATION}Posts: 158
Does anyone know if MPVFD has the ability/interest to refill a used (refillable) fire extinguisher? If so, what's the cost?

Thanks in advance.
Karla Reeves
Wed Feb 18 2009, 02:02PM
Registered Member #173
{LOCATION}Posts: 17
Keith,

My apologies for not answering sooner...

Unless it is a pressurized water extinguisher, which are silver in color - most fire extinguishers are red - MPVFR does not have the facilities to refill them.

For service on our own, and all extinguishers in the city, we use Roswell Extinguisher Service. My contact there is Eddy, and he can be reached at (770) 751-0247.

Interestingly enough, Eddy will be at MPVFR on Tuesday, February 24th to service our and the City's extinguishers. If there is interest from you or other citizens, I can check with him to find out if he would be willing look at citizen owned extinguishers and give you a quote for service.

I am unsure whether his company services consumer type extinguishers (all of ours and the City's are commercial type), but I can find out.

Thanks for the question,
Lt. Karla Reeves
MPVFR
Cheerful Garrett
Thu Feb 19 2009, 02:23AM
Registered Member #118
{LOCATION}Posts: 186
Karla Reeves or Other MPVFD:

How long is an unused fire extinguisher good for? Someone told me they thought as long as the pressure is there, they are fine. How can you tell? My extinguishers are 15-18 years old.

Thanks.
Karla Reeves
Thu Feb 19 2009, 03:37AM
Registered Member #173
CG - And everyone...

The question is complex...different types of extinguishers age or expire depending on what type of extinguishers they are. For this discussion, let's assume a dry chemical extinguisher, which is the most commonly found in households, the ones you would purchase at a home improvement store.

NFPA codes dictate that dry chemical extinguishers should be disposed of if they are more than 6 years old. The manufacturing date should be on a label on the extinguisher. In this case, any extinguisher that was made in or before 2002 should be replaced.

One excellent use for an expired fire extinguisher is to teach your family how to effectively discharge one. Please - do this outside, it will make a mess.

Remember PASS...
Pull - the pin from the handle on the extinguisher
Aim - the extinguisher at the BASE of the fire
Squeeze - the trigger to discharge the dry agent from the bottle
Sweep - the blast of dry agent across the base of the fire until extinguished.

If you would like, MPVFR can provide training for you and your families with your expired extinguishers. You may call the station at (770) 998-3533 or me directly at (678) 283-4442 to arrange a "class".

Thanks for asking, this is an important topic.

Lt. Karla Reeves
MPVFR

Karla Reeves
Thu Feb 19 2009, 03:46AM
Registered Member #173
One other thing...

If your extinguisher has a guage on it that looks like:

and it is within the 6 year timeframe, make sure the needle is in the green section of the dial. It is important to check this at least twice a year. If it is not, dispose of it and purchase another one. Make it a part of your smoke alarm testing and battery replacement that you should be doing when daylight savings time changes twice a year!

If this picture did not come through, you can see a picture of the guage at

link

about 2/3 of the way down on the page under:
Care and Maintenance of your extinguisher.

This article talks about "hydrostatic testing". Quite honestly, unless you have a commercial type extinguisher - it costs about the same to test one as it does to replace one.

Karla
Keith
Thu Feb 19 2009, 01:32PM
Registered Member #46
{LOCATION}Posts: 158
Karla,

MANY thanks for taking the time to respond and provide an answer that could potentially save people's lives.

Personally I would be interested in knowing how much it would cost to refill (if possible) an existing extinguisher (it seems a bit more "green" than buying a new one.

Thanks again for the answer and more importantly for your service to this community!
Karla Reeves
Thu Feb 19 2009, 01:43PM
Registered Member #173
Keith - and everyone,

I will call Roswell Extinguisher today and find out if they can service a consumer type extinguisher. And also find out if he might be willing to participate in an "extinguisher roundup". Which might mean you all bring us your extinguishers that you have questions about, he can look at them, give you a quote on service/recharge or any other advice about them.

Let me see what I can find out for everyone.

Karla
Karla Reeves
Tue Feb 24 2009, 05:10PM
Registered Member #173
I have spoken with my representative from Roswell Extinguisher, as today was the inspection day for all extinguishers at the FD and City Buildings. He gave me the following "rules of thumb" for residental type extinguishers.

If your extinguisher does not have a guage to tell you it's fill level, it needs to be replaced with one that does have a guage.

If your extinguisher does have a guage, every 6 months, you need to do a visual inspection of it.

1. Check the guage, make sure the needle is in the green area.
2. Remove the hose and make sure it is clear - take compressed air and blow through the hose.*
3. Check the manufacture date of the extinguisher - located either on the label, or physically stamped on the bottom of the cylinder. When the extinguisher is 12 years old, it needs to be replaced.

*Item of note. I have now seen personally where the hose gets clogged with a dirt dobber nest. Please be careful when inspecting the hose.

These "rules of thumb" are a bit different than what I quoted in one of the posts above, so it seems I was being a bit more conservative than what I needed to be.

I hope this helps everyone. If you have questions or concerns regarding your home's extinguishers, you can certainly ask us about them. While someone is at the station most all the time now, you can be certain someone will be there every Thursday at 7:00pm. Just bring your extinguishers and we will be happy to answer your questions. Or, you can give us a call at the station - (770) 998-3533.

Karla Reeves
Tue Feb 24 2009, 05:19PM
Registered Member #173
Oh, and regarding "recharging" a residential type extinguisher - it was as I surmised. It costs roughly the same to recharge one as it does to replace it. Plus, only certain types (and not many) residential type extinguishers can be recharged. Most are meant to be disposed of when they are either used or expired.

Also, I called Roswell Recycle Center. Once an extinguisher is discharged, the empty cannister CAN be recycled. So we at least can be green on the disposal!

Karla
Cheerful Garrett
Wed Feb 25 2009, 12:37AM
Registered Member #118
{LOCATION}Posts: 186
Karla Reeves,
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Learned a lot.
Moderators: bt, Archive, editor

Jump:     Back to top

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board

© Mountain Park Life 2006 All Rights Reserved

mountainparklife.com is a community site for the City of Mountain Park.

Render time: 0.0623 sec, 0.0084 of that for queries.