· Polls
 · About
 ·
 ·
 ·

Chatbox
bullet editor
Jun 01 : 17:00
Members, post announcements in the Chat that don't seem to fit in the Forum such as Happy Birthday, Welcome New Baby, etc. Get "social."

Forums
Mountain Park Life :: Forums :: Guest Editorials
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

What's Your Take on the Election Results?

Go to page   <<        >>  
Author Post
Bill Schmidt
Thu Nov 08 2007, 04:53AM
Registered Member #68
{LOCATION}Posts: 141
I'm trying to find out now, who did the original work to obtain the funds for this water main project that is coming up. Does anyone know who got it?

Ben Counter
Jim Wright
Thu Nov 08 2007, 02:39PM
Registered Member #70
{LOCATION}Posts: 246
Ben was the Utilities Committee chairman when this particular phase of the water line replacement project was originally submitted for CDBG consideration and award.

Community Development Block Grants are available through HUD. Mountain Park participates under the umbrella of Fulton County as it makes it much easier for a city our size to utilize the program. The paperwork and application process would be overwhelming were we to apply directly. The partnership has been very beneficial and Mountain Park typically receives $60,000 per year under the program. The city submits projects to the county which must meet HUD criteria, and if funds are appropriated at the federal level, the grants are awarded. The city matches the amount of funds awarded.

This program has been very beneficial for Mountain Park. I think we have used the CDBG program exclusively for potable water line replacement and upgrades. At the point when the city has replaced it's water distribution mains we can consider other Community Development projects. It is my understanding that the options are many and could include such things as Senior Centers; recreation amenities; and enhancement of existing facilities serving the community at large. A walking trail system may qualify.

Ben Counter is clearly deserving of credit for his fine work in this area and Bill Schmidt has stepped in and advanced the ball. Jim Close had an impact as did Sandy Fuller and many others. And how can the city ever give proper thanks to Jesse "Red" Smith and his family for all their contributions. The CDBG program, like so much of what makes Mountain Park a community is bolstered by our volunteer spirit, which distinguishes us from the pack.

Elections and campaigns come visit us every two years but volunteers giving for a community of friends and neighbors is our daily blessing.
TheVarmint
Thu Nov 08 2007, 04:19PM
Registered Member #225
{LOCATION}Posts: 68
I have never understood the grants and other funding. What other grants or outside funding have we applied for that we may obtain in the future and for what purpose?
Gwynne Ketcham (plus others) around 2003 once worked on funding for dam repairs, is that what we are hearing about now or is it something else? Who are the funding entities for this type of thing?
Can we set up a method to keep track of what has been applied for and what is available to make sure that we request the maximum?
Grandma's Kid
Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:49PM
Registered Member #59
{LOCATION}Posts: 118
The Varmit- Your feelings about the election outcome are just as valid as anyones. However, for myself your assertion that people who don't live on the lakes don't care as much about the lakes just isn't true. I was taught how to fish in our lakes by my grandmother who has been gone from this world since '66. I taught my children how to fish here. I don't think I could care more about the lakes if I lived in the lakes. I'm glad that property taxes were raised to insure we can legally fight the people who have polluted our lakes. Perhaps people who don't remember how beautiful and fun our lakes use to be don't have the same feelings. Maybe they are just scared we'll lose but if and when we go down I hope we go down swinging.

Grandma's Kid
Cheerful Garrett
Thu Nov 08 2007, 11:52PM
Registered Member #118
{LOCATION}Posts: 186
WATERLILLY: Loved your post. It was very heartfelt and sincere. What beautiful thoughts. We have felt that way many times when going to a M.P. event of some kind. Your description was really lovely.
TheVarmint
Fri Nov 09 2007, 12:27AM
Registered Member #225
Hey GK: I am no expert on the subject and it was just my take on the election. I made a point to say some of this ( not all of this) but it more pertained to the emotions behind the voting. I should not have generalized that broadly. It stands to reason that the lakes would be more important to someone who’s property value was effected by the lakes as compared to someone’s who’s property value isn’t effected by the condition of the lakes in general but not a 100% of everybody.

Anyway, I’m on a new project now and that is not to miss an opportunity to obtain grant money even if we had one person and that was all they worked on whether it was charity or we paid them for it.
Wild Magnolia
Fri Nov 09 2007, 02:17PM
Registered Member #163
{LOCATION}Posts: 44
Mob Mentality- Unfortunate that they could not allow some of the incumbents to bring their hard work to fuition. The Fan newsletter littering the streets was nothing but inaccuracies and misinformation. Frightening that the new mayor endorsed and supported the newsletter of misinformation makes you wonder? Citizens keep your eyes open on this one!
Wild Magnolia
Fri Nov 09 2007, 02:21PM
Registered Member #163
{LOCATION}Posts: 44
Mob Mentality- Unfortunate that they could not allow some of the incumbents to bring their hard work to fuition. The Fan newsletter littering the streets was nothing but inaccuracies and misinformation. Frightening that the new mayor endorsed and supported the newsletter of misinformation makes you wonder what his agenda is?
D,S&J
Fri Nov 09 2007, 07:26PM
Registered Member #24
{LOCATION}Posts: 57
I, too, was dissapointed that a newsletter that was written by - apparently no one - could be SO influential. I guess I felt that the problems of this administration weren't much different than any of the others. To many meetings that are to hard to get to, etc... I guess raising taxes is one sure way to get voted-out, even if we need the money. I think we do, regardless of the additional sewer taps - has anyone noticed our streets?

I was surprised that anyone would even think of trying to finish this lawsuit without Claire - she deserves more credit. She has given us all far more than most can even begin to understand.

I am also surprised to see that we have so many voters or for that matter registered voters as well. I wish the best to the new guys - people will be calling for your heads soon enough.

Varmit - Grants. Go to google, best search engine in my opinion. use words like grants, usa, georgia, available. Seperated by comma's is "or". Use a (+) plus sign for "and". If you are looking for an exact choice of words put the words in quotation marks.

Here is one place to start looking for grants. http://www.usagovernmentgrants.org/Government_Grants.html

TheVarmint
Fri Nov 09 2007, 08:05PM
Registered Member #225
D,S & J: People are external or internal. I'm internal so if something doesn't go right I immediately start diagnosing what my mistake was. I then make a written rule about how to prevent it again. That list is now up to 74.
People could have voted by the information that they had but also they could have voted because of the information that they did not have. If they wanted to know the information they would have had to get it through the Open Records Act.
When you handle other people's money you have to be careful and you had better account for it. Educating the public and keeping them informed would have helped.
Moderators: bt, Archive, editor

Jump:     Back to top

Go to page   <<        >>  
Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board

© Mountain Park Life 2006 All Rights Reserved

mountainparklife.com is a community site for the City of Mountain Park.

Render time: 0.0638 sec, 0.0061 of that for queries.