· Polls
 · About
 ·
 ·
 ·

Chatbox
bullet editor
Jun 01 : 17:00
Members, post announcements in the Chat that don't seem to fit in the Forum such as Happy Birthday, Welcome New Baby, etc. Get "social."

Forums
Mountain Park Life :: Forums :: Guest Editorials
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Actual Police Report names Councilman. Was he intoxicated during meeting?

Go to page   <<        >>  
Author Post
Cheerful Garrett
Tue Oct 23 2007, 03:23AM
Registered Member #118
{LOCATION}Posts: 186
If the police officer would have asked Pulling on the record if he was drinking and he said yes, that could be used. But in all fairness, how do we know that Pulling wasn't cooking with wine and spilled some on himself or had poured a drink for someone else and got some on himself. I'm not taking up for anyone, because I wasn't there.

It does seem irresponsible of the police officer not to ask Pulling about alchohol when he thought he was drinking, and in a situation where Pulling was accusing Pullium of not only disrupting but of getting physical.

I don't see how you can get any where with an ethics complaint without proof.
George_M
Tue Oct 23 2007, 05:14PM
Registered Member #115
{LOCATION}Posts: 71
Cheerful,

The process is designed to determine the truthfulness of the allegations - in this case a series of observations made and recorded by a Roswell Police Officer. Perhpas most troubling (to me) are the reported attempts by Bill Pulling to have the officer arrest the citizen based on things the citizen never said in the meeting. Review the Police Report carefully and see if you are not similarly shocked by the reported events that night.

The issue the community should be addressing is: If the police report contains true statements, is this behavior we will tolerate from our elected officials in Mountain Park? (I hope the answer is a resounding, No.) Let the process determine the accuracy of the Police Officer's observations.

If Bill Pulling is a sloppy cook and careless dresser, then that will come out in the investigation. If he is otherwise, then the Ethics Code demands a prompt response.
Cheerful Garrett
Tue Oct 23 2007, 11:57PM
Registered Member #118
This Is a very important issue. But what amazes me is that more people are interested in talking about this then discussing our water crisis and what Mountain Park plans to do if, in fact, water becomes critically low or we run out of water - which is far more serious. Are there emergency procedures in place, etc? Is the Spring usable?

I guess we'll all be standing out in the street with our tongues hanging out, no drinking water, no water to flush our toilets, do our laundry or wash our dishes... but at least we'll have the Pulling/Pullium incident to talk about.

AGAIN... In Case Of Emergency - Can we use the water coming out of the Spring????
George_M
Wed Oct 24 2007, 12:44AM
Registered Member #115
{LOCATION}Posts: 71
I don't want to minimize in any way the seriousness of the Mountain Park/Atlanta/Southeast water crisis, but that topic should become a separate thread and not part of the "Police Report indicates Intoxication" discussion.

The debate about the appropriateness of the Lake Lanier water release to protect downstream mussels and sturgeon would be interesting, but let's keep the forum on-topic. And, in particular, let's keep this thread on-topic because it contains a discussion very important to our community.
Frank Baia
Wed Oct 24 2007, 12:57AM
Registered Member #69
{LOCATION}Posts: 22
The subject of this forum is of critical importance and should remain an open dialogue without distraction but, as a quick response to the concerns expressed by Cherful Garrett, an emergency meeting was called last night by Chief Reeves of MPVFR with the mayor, public safety chair and some other members of council to discuss recent communications regarding the drought from the office of the governor. Plans are in place to assure that Mountain Park has a proper representation in any actions taken to protect and secure proper water supply to our citizens. In consideration of a federal appeal by the governor recognizing a multi-county area as a significant disaster, this Saturday further plans call for a meeting of the chairs of public safety, BZP and utilities to continue discussion and consider immediate action plans should the severe conditions continue.
Cheerful Garrett
Wed Oct 24 2007, 01:33AM
Registered Member #118
The incident goes back over a month ago. I guess the questions are: Is an ethics complaint going to be brought up against Pulling? When? Who will initiate it? Or is it going to become just one of those things that are talked about for months and then forgot about. It seems there is always a lot of talk and little action on many issues in M.P.
Dutch Uncle
Sat Oct 27 2007, 03:40AM
Registered Member #120
{LOCATION}Posts: 54
Grandma's Kid-

Don't dismiss the fact that Officer Jeremy Harris, a MP code officer operating under the direct supervision of Pulling was present the night the arrest was made. Could there have been influence or the use of one's elected position to stack the deck? It is not too late, as you suggest, because we are not talking about a criminal prosecution, luckily for Pulling, but about a local ordinance violation if any violation at all. The slander suit suggestion is a non-issue as Pulling is an elected official. If such were allowed don't you think the people Pulling has said were thieves, crooks, or worse would have sued him?

Your point about why the officer mentioned "it" is a great point. Maybe the officer wanted it to be known that he observed a public official, one sworn to uphold the law, doing his best to use strong-arm tactics to abuse the very basic principles of our law, that being that justice is blind and one is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Pulling obviously, to the more objective amongst us, may have acted hastily, inappropriately, and against the common decency standards acceptable to our great community.

How do you know there aren't corroborating witnesses? What about witnesses willing to testify that they have encountered this councilman appearing to be intoxicated during past engagements? Moving on is always the easier route to take, but when dealing with those charged with maintaining the public trust, moving on too quickly serves only the guilty and their supporters. I don't care for controversy or strife, but I demand integrity on the part of our elected officials, all of them. Pulling deserves a public hearing.
Grandma's Kid
Sat Oct 27 2007, 05:31AM
Registered Member #59
{LOCATION}Posts: 118
Dutch Uncle-
I've not heard Bill Pulling call anybody a thief or any names at all. If anybody called me a drunk and I thought it might harm my standing with the community I'd certainly at least consult a lawyer. I still feel the officer did us a disservice by not testing Bill if he really thought Bill was illegally intoxicated. If you really think that Bill was guilty of an ethics violation then go ahead and file a complaint. I know there was a time when a wink and a nod would allow a builder with little or no competence to build unsafe structures in our town. Bill Pulling has done much to turn that around. Maybe a few people don't like that now plans have to be submitted and rules followed. Maybe these people have friends in the police department. Anything is possible. I just don't see how anyone can prove anything about it now. Of course, I can be wrong. If someone by some miracle can prove that Bill was intoxicated then it is time to come forward and make a sworn statement. I just hope that if that happens these complainants have some real solid evidence unlike what we've had at our previous hearing. What a waste of time and money! Not to mention the emotional strife.

Grandma's Kid
Jim Wright
Sun Oct 28 2007, 02:36AM
Registered Member #70
{LOCATION}Posts: 246
Without a doubt a written sworn complaint is required in order for the mayor or mayor pro tem to proceed with an investigation under the provisions of our city code of ethics for elected officials.

The point is not whether Bill Schmidt, the more readily available city official, at least here on MPL, was expected to file an ethics complaint against Councilman William Pulling. The impropriety on the part of Mayor Upham is what needs to be examined as we make our choice for mayor in November. The focus should be about the abuse of power and position.

On two occasions Mayor Upham personally used our ethics code inappropriately when she appointed council committees to sit in judgment of other elected officials without being presented with a sworn complaint. The point is that if she would take such action over a matter concerning parking why would she not take action over a matter concerning public trust and the possibility that an elected official, her friend, was intoxicated at a public meeting where the taxpayers' business was being affected.

But there is another angle to consider. For the sake of this discussion let's remember that there is another option available to the council. This is spelled out in the City Charter Section 2-15, I believe. There is a provision that allows the council to initiate an investigation. This is different from the Ethics Code in so far as no sworn complaint is required and no citizen panel is formed. In other words, any member of council could call for an investigation and seek a majority vote to undertake the same. The mayor is also empowered to undertake investigations. This fosters oversight.

Don't soon forget that a citizen, one willing to challenge his government, was hauled off to jail in handcuffs for speaking out, albeit loudly.
Prickly Heat
Sun Oct 28 2007, 03:47AM
Registered Member #231
{LOCATION}Posts: 20
If anyone thinks that Bill Pulling was intoxicated (George and Jim) why don't you get off you high horses quit whining about others. If in fact you feel so sure of this accusation Stop being so self righteous and contentious and file a complaint yourself! This issue has gone on long enough.

Let the first without sin throw the first stone!
Moderators: bt, Archive, editor

Jump:     Back to top

Go to page   <<        >>  
Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board

© Mountain Park Life 2006 All Rights Reserved

mountainparklife.com is a community site for the City of Mountain Park.

Render time: 0.0641 sec, 0.0066 of that for queries.