» Tool Chest
 · About
 ·
 ·
 ·

Chatbox
bullet editor
Jun 01 : 17:00
Members, post announcements in the Chat that don't seem to fit in the Forum such as Happy Birthday, Welcome New Baby, etc. Get "social."

Forums
Mountain Park Life :: Forums :: Watershed Preservation Society
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

The Lake Garrett Dam Repair

Author Post
Terraserva
Tue Jul 26 2005, 04:32PM
Registered Member #33
{LOCATION}Posts: 17
In the archive council minutes it was briefly mentioned that the Lake Garrett dam was a class 1 hazard and that there was some kind of deadline to repair it. The dollar amount required to do the repairs mentioned was shocking. Actually, the only danger that I can think of is if the dam broke and washed out the bridge below it.

How accurate is this and if it is accurate can anyone tell me the following?

1) When is the deadline and what happens if we don't meet it?
2) assuming that there are some types of grants available for this, how much are the estimated costs and what percentage will the city be responsible to pay of the total costs?
Grandma's Kid
Fri Sep 28 2007, 12:20AM
Registered Member #59
{LOCATION}Posts: 118
A friend of mine brought this to my attention so I lifted the following from Johnny Isakson's web site-

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, September 24, 2007

Isakson, Chambliss Announce $127 Million in Water Projects for Georgia

The bill also includes language authorizing aquatic ecosystem restoration projects at the Chattahoochee Fall-Line, Longwood Cove and Mountain Park Dam, as well as a land exchange between Lake Allatoona and the Army Corps of Engineers.

Grandma's Kid
E.T. Bass
Fri Sep 28 2007, 01:56AM
Registered Member #152
{LOCATION}Posts: 76
GK-
Here is the entire press release. It sounds promising, but these type releases are common. Thank your friend for bringing this to our attention.

It is always good news to see that we MAY get some of our tax dollars returned. We have been here before. The appropriations phase is where the rubber meets the road. The last mayor, and Joyce before him were instrumental in keeping our needs before Congress and getting us listed in these type bills. Check the archives and newspapers. Remember the Corps of Engineer study? Things were looking real good and then the funding dried up after the city filed the lawsuit. Don't assume we are getting any money. This type WRDA bill has listed our dam and watershed more than once with no funds actually coming. Once the city paid a lobbyist $20k and that didn't yield any funds. Congressmen and Senators are always naming constituencies in bills for obvious reasons. Let's keep our fingers crossed. We are listed as an "also", not a primary.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, September 24, 2007

Isakson, Chambliss Announce $127 Million in Water Projects for Georgia

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senators Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) and Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) today praised Senate passage of water resources legislation that includes over $127 million for critical water infrastructure projects in Georgia.

The Water Resources Development Act authorizes Army Corps of Engineers projects dealing with flood control, storm protection, environmental restoration and inland navigation. The actual funding for the projects would come later during the appropriations process.
A conference committee report on the bill passed the Senate today by a vote of 81 to 12 and now goes to President Bush for his signature. Isakson serves as Ranking Member of the Senate Subcommittee on Transportation and Infrastructure, which had jurisdiction over the bill, and was selected by Senate leadership to participate in the committee that crafted a compromise on the bill.

“The passage of this bi-partisan, fiscally responsible bill is a tremendous step for Georgia,” Isakson said. “It is an investment in safe drinking water. It is an investment in stormwatermanagement. It is an investment in flood control and water resources across the United States of America.”

“The funding authorized in this bill will go a long way toward enhancing the infrastructure in numerous urban and rural communities across Georgia,” said Senator Chambliss. “It was a privilege to work with folks across Georgia who brought their needs to our attention, because this is an important investment in the future of our state as we protect against storm damage and flooding, protect our environment, and enhance commerce through navigation. I commend Senator Isakson for his leadership on this bill through his position on the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee.”

The Water Resources Development Act is supposed to be authorized every two years. However, Congress has not re-authorized the legislation since 2000.

The bill authorizes the following funds for Georgia projects:

$20 million for the construction of conveyance systems to connect both existing and planned wastewater infrastructure and facilities for the Metro North Georgia Water Planning District;
$10 million for Savannah Riverfront development;
$6.175 million for environmental restoration of the Latham River in Glynn County;
$5 million for environmental restoration at Big Creek watershed in Roswell;
$24.5 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in the cities of Fayetteville, Grantville, LaGrange, Pine Mountain, Douglasville and Carrollton;
$10 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in the Armuchee Valley;
$8 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in Chattooga County;
$7 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in Meriwether and Spalding counties;
$4 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in Albany;
$5 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in Moultrie;
$8 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in the City of Toccoa and Stephens County;
$5 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in Dahlonega;
$5 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in Banks County;
$5 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in Berrien County; and
$5 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in the City of East Point.
The bill also includes language authorizing aquatic ecosystem restoration projects at the Chattahoochee Fall-Line, Longwood Cove and Mountain Park Dam, as well as a land exchange between Lake Allatoona and the Army Corps of Engineers.

In addition, the bill authorizes several studies, including a study to determine if the Savannah Harbor Expansion Project is causing beach erosion at Tybee Island, a flood damage reduction study of the Macon Levee, a water supply study for Meriwether County and a feasibility study to build a joint port operation in Jasper County, S.C. Georgia is working with South Carolina in developing the port.

The bill also authorizes a management study of the watersheds of the Chattahoochee, Etowah, Flint, Ocmulgee and Oconee rivers lying within the counties of Bartow, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Hall, Henry, Paulding, Rockdale and Walton.

###

Jim Wright
Fri Nov 09 2007, 03:54AM
Registered Member #70
{LOCATION}Posts: 246
Today the U.S. Senate followed the House of Representatives and voted to override the President's veto of the water resources bill (WRDA). This was the first override of President Bush in seven years. And yes, our dam between Lake Garrett and Lake Cherful is mentioned in the bill as shown below. The actual amount authorized for Mountain Park is not reported. It is possible that this amount is included in the previously funded program that has been managed by the City of Roswell through a cooperative effort. In any event, it is clear that Mountain Park needs to make sure that our voice is heard by our State and Federal representatives on a continual basis. Our income taxes are paid into the system and we need to lobby for a reasonable return on our investment. You can rest assured that there are residents of the city, beyond elected officials, that lobby in their own ways for our city. I implore Mayor-elect Still and the new council to represent our citizens both locally and on the State and Federal levels. It is critical that we receive our share (or more) of the pie. This happens through proactive efforts; contacts; & networking.

From the AJC.com:

Metro Atlanta projects authorized in the $23 billion water resources bill:

• $24.5 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in the cities of Fayetteville and Douglasville, as well as Grantville, LaGrange, Pine Mountain and Carrollton.

• $20 million for the construction of conveyance systems to connect existing and planned wastewater infrastructure and facilities for the Metro North Georgia Water Planning District, which includes 16 counties and 95 cities.

• Management study of the watersheds of the Chattahoochee, Etowah, Flint, Ocmulgee and Oconee rivers lying within the counties of Bartow, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Hall, Henry, Paulding, Rockdale and Walton.

• $5 million for municipal water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure in East Point.

• $5 million for environmental restoration at Big Creek watershed in Roswell.

• Aquatic ecosystem restoration projects at the Chattahoochee Fall-Line, Longwood Cove and Mountain Park Dam.
• A land exchange between Lake Allatoona and the Army Corps of Engineers.

— Source: Offices of Georgia Sens. Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss

Jim Wright
Fri Nov 09 2007, 04:35AM
Registered Member #70
{LOCATION}Posts: 246
I guess it goes without saying that both of our Republican Senators, Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson, voted to override the President's veto. Send them a thank-you note. It can't hurt, even if you're an independent.
TheVarmint
Fri Nov 09 2007, 04:27PM
Registered Member #225
{LOCATION}Posts: 68
This recent water main grant has wet my appetite. I think the money is there but we don't know where and how to get it. I look at a council members as doing their best job that they can in light that it is not a full time job and they have careers too. They've got to eat and pay bills.
I don't know enough about grants or free money, but we could be missing out on something. We should at least could be applying and complaining. Some of these grants are more than our tax base. Invite influential people to our barbecues and events.

Bill Scmidt is on the council, works on the web sites, plus debates residents from the council's perspective. You really couldn't ask him to give more time and work on grants too. The same for many of the other's.
When Bill Robertson was handling the accounting, he did the best job that he could, with the amount of time that he had to give. To have expected a perfect job with no mistakes, he should have been paid for doing it so he didn't need a full time job and could give accounting more time. He had a right to make clerical errors, doing part time accounting of all things with a limited amount of time to give in that situation. I hated hearing the recording of his resignation. I have no idea who he is so this is nothing personal.

I'm for a designated person handling grants, outside public relations and donations as their specialty. The council members that have knowledge about it could give advice.
TheVarmint
Fri Nov 09 2007, 06:20PM
Registered Member #225
{LOCATION}Posts: 68
The Senate overruling Pre. Bush made Al Jazeera news.
link
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/7B373126-D60D-4BD4-B506-605C1E838658.htm
Moderators: bt, Archive, editor

Jump:     Back to top

Forum theme loosely based on Invision Power Board

© Mountain Park Life 2006 All Rights Reserved

mountainparklife.com is a community site for the City of Mountain Park.

Render time: 0.0559 sec, 0.0050 of that for queries.